Alice in Wonderland- The Harry Rountree version

Reader beware! A declaration of bias coming right up:

I adore Harry Rountree. I have a print of an illustration by him in Little Folks up on the wall the moment you walk into my house, and more inside. This (the adoration, not the print) may interfere with my ability to be objective, although once you see the illustrations, you may not be especially objective either. 

I believe the Sir John Tenniel illustrations are the more-or-less "official" Alice illustrations. This is a slightly condensed edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I'll just let the delicious illustrations speak for themselves.

For best results, pair with: Strawberry ice cream, which is simultaneously both a sine qua non of a Mad Hatter's Tea Party, and the culinary embodiment of these illustrations. 
Author: Lewis Carroll 
Illustrated by Harry Rountree (but then you knew that already the 151st time I said it above) 
The Children's Press, Glasgow
Unsure of the date of publication of my edition, but I am going to guess 1950s-60s, although the first date of publication of this edition would have been earlier in the 1900s.



The actual book cover is pristine; the dust jacket has done its job and therefore seen some depradations.

My edition is undated.


The lion's sulky face is priceless.

Incessantly.






Yikes.

"I don't like the look of it at all", said the King; "however, it may kiss my hand if it likes."








"They were all quite impressed by her biceps."

Comments