Jerry Muskrat At Home

My very first Thornton W. Burgess arrived today in the post (is there a better feeling than getting a parcel in the post, that is assuredly a book!?)

I haven't read it yet but am really looking forward to it. The cynical adult voice in me says "More anthropomorphising whilst we drive animals to extinction!" I do however realise that Peter Rabbit and Jemima Puddleduck are building blocks based on which children learn to love animals. Empathy is a learned virtue, not necessarily one inherent to the human animal. 


The illustrations are simple and lovely, much as the text appears to be. I am looking forward to reading this to the children.





The dust jacket was alas, tattered. Here it is recuperating under an acrylic sheet before I put a jacket cover on it. Then again, it's tattered because it's done its job- the actual book cover is pristine.



Comments